Monday, October 6, 2014

An outsider's view of coffee farm work.

Hello, my friends.  I would like to share with you an interesting view of my operation.  Casey is an athlete and quite a world traveler.  We met during the time he brought students to my coffee shop for Coffee 101 and good drinks.

I have read his article a couple of times.  First with curiosity and later with a chuckle in my heart. Go figure, the Down to Earth coffee tree nursery work broke him.  I am officially amazed to see that the work in my coffee farm did to him what thousands of kilometers of the Appalachian trail couldn't.

http://earlyonmybornday.com/2014/10/04/dota-part-i/

He should be proud of his work, though.  I have yet to find a person that can keep up with Magdaleno. He is what I call a 4x4 employee:  he works tirelessly for hours and the only force capable of stopping him is nature with thunderous rain.  A man with a permanent smile on his face, Magdaleno's only goal in life is to send money back to Nicaragua so his family can finish their new home.

Casey should also be proud to be part of the largest single effort in Costa Rica to bring back the Villalobos, the original coffee tree of Costa Rica.  A lost treasure, the Villalobos Varietal is the way my new farm is heading.  We are growing those trees  from our own seeds, the product of about 80 aging trees we rescued in our La Piedra Estate a couple of years ago.

All my new growth is now Villalobos, both in the new farm and in the renewals of our older Catuai Red plantations.  I am proud to be perpetuating the quality that put Costa Rica in the world quality coffee map since the late 1800's.   With the nursery that Casey helped built, we planted a 16-acre chapter of coffee history and we still have coffee left for five more acres in 2015.

As you can see, this is Part 1.  Let's see what part 2 brings.  I look forward to hear what else Casey has to say.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment...keep them coming.

Best,

Matias